"The very first step towards spiritual health is
to be purged from our sinful humours."
St. Francis of Sales
to be purged from our sinful humours."
St. Francis of Sales
1. The devotion which is true hinders nothing, but on the contrary it perfects everything. This includes every form of employment and every duty known to mankind. True devotion, therefore, is immanently practical. Does my devotion to Christ manifest itself in every aspect of my life?
2. I must aim at the perfect life (cf. Matt. 5:48). It seems that many times I intentionally aim at the mediocre life all along presuming upon God by telling myself that where sin abounds grace abounds all the more. This is to trample under foot the Son of God (cf. Heb. 10:29). Is my life aimed at sanctification? Am I living a life that is set apart from sin and the ways of the world?
3. I must regular confess, renounce, and put off my sin. In fact, "[o]ur victory does not consist in being insensible to [our imperfections], but in not consenting to them" (17). In other words, ignoring my sins does not make them go away; neither does denying my sins; or being insensible to them. Victory comes only by not consenting (cf. Prov. 1:8-19) to my sins which are ever before me (cf. Psalm 51:3). No wonder St. Francis says: "All evil inclinations must be purged away" (63) and " . . . how can a generous heart take delight in anything it knows to be displeasing to God, or wish to do what offends Him?" (60).
4. My very perfection lies in diligently contending against my imperfections. The apostle Paul said: ". . . abstain from fleshly lusts, which wage agains the soul" (1 Pet. 2:11). St. Francis adds: "It is our privilege in this war that we are certain to vanquish so long as we are willing to fight" (18). Do I recognize the battle? And am I willing to fight against anything that is displeasing to the LORD?
5. Small errors can become greater as one begins to advance in godliness; and if they are not dealt with they will cause irreparable damage. Am I dealing with the small errors in my life? Are there any "small errors" that have caused irreparable damage? Have I taken these to Jesus?
6. I must not only give up my sins but I must give up my sinful affections. St. Francis elaborates: ". . . if you seek to lead a devout life, you must not merely forsake sin; but you must further cleanse your heart from all affections pertaining to sin; for, to say nothing of the danger of relapse, these wretched affections will perpetually enfeeble your mind, and clog it, so that you will be unable to be diligent, ready and frequent in good works, wherein nevertheless lies the very essence of all true devotion. Souls which, in spite of having forsaken sin, yet retain such likings and longings, remind us of those persons who, without being actually ill, are pale and sickly, languid in all they do, eating without appetite, sleeping without refreshment, laughing without mirth, dragging themselves about rather than walking briskly. Such souls as I have described lose all the grace of their good deeds, which are probably few and feeble, through their spiritual langour" (21, 22).
7. My contrition over my sins must be strong and urgent so that it purges away all the affections which cling around habits of sin. St. Francis adds: "When contrition is strong and hearty, the man of God will not merely abhor sin, but every affection, every link and tendency to sin. Therefore, it behoves us to kindle our contrition and repentance as much as we possibly can, so that it may reach even to the very smallest appearance of sin" (23). Am I kindling the flames of contrition? Do I hate with a godly passion all affections which cling around my habits of sin?

2 comments:
"kindling the flames of contrition" -- I'm gettin' goosebumps with that one! Beautiful.
Jeff - so good to run across your new blog. I have thought of you often and truly miss you and your family.
This post was great - I particularly appreciate the discussion of not only dealing with sin, but also with sinful affections. This is something I'm currently trying to work out in my life, but it's so difficult to do. My heart is desperately wicked, of this I'm sure.
Thanks for the words, and it's good to "see" you, even if not in person - I love you.
Post a Comment