". . . before you leave your room if possible. . . "
St. Francis of Sales
In regard to prayer & meditation, St. Francis repeatedly talks of "placing yourself in the Presence of God" and "asking Him to inspire your heart."
1. I must understand that prayer is an absolutely necessity just as breathing is to the life of the body. It is what genuine disciples of Jesus do. They pray. They talk with God. They cannot help but pray because they cannot help but breathe. St. Francis says: "Prayer opens the understanding to the brightness of Divine Light, and the will to the warmth of Heavenly Love --- nothing can so effectually purify the mind from its many ignorances, or the will from its perverse affections. It is as healing water which causes the roots of our good desires to send forth fresh shoots, which washes away the soul's imperfections, and allays the thirst of passion" (64).
2. I must continually be taught to pray. Prayer that leans on one's own understanding is simply the arrogant projections of a heart in rebellion against God. The very nature of prayer is dependence not independence. Therefore, I must constantly practice the presence of Christ even though that presence is hidden. This will lead to dependence and "[a] lively earnest realisation that His Presence is universal; that is to say, that He is everywhere, and in all, and that there is no place, nothing in the world, devoid of His Most Holy Presence, so that, even as birds on the wing meet the air continually, we, let us go where we will, meet with that Presence always and everywhere" (69).
This remembrance of His Presence is vital to prayer. For "[a] blind man when in the presence of his prince will preserve a reverential demeanour if told the king is there, although unable to see him; but practically, what men do not see they easily forget, and so readily lapse into carelessness and irreverence. Just so, my child, we do not see our God, and although faith warns us that He is present, no beholding Him with our mortal eyes, we are too apt to forget Him, and act as though He were afar: for, while knowing perfectly that He is everywhere, if we do not think about it, it is much as though we knew it not. And therefore, before beginning to pray, it is needful always to rouse the soul to a steadfast remembrance and thought of the Presense of God" (69).
3. I must respond to God's Presence with utmost reverence, acknowledging that I am completely unworthy to abide before His Sovereign Majesty; and yet knowing that He of His Goodness would have me come to Him. Therefore, I must ask of Him grace to serve and worship Him in my meditation. "Give me understanding, and I shall keep Thy Law; yea, I shall keep it with my whole heart" (Ps. 119:34).
4. I must allow my mind to imagine that which God wills me to imagine for His Glory and my good. "God, sanctify my heart. Draw my heart to your Word to recreate with a Scripture pencil the glory of your revealed truth in the heart of this wicked sinner. Allow me see to Jesus in all His fulness."
5. I must give myself to meditation so that good desires in the will---that sensitive part of the soul-- such as love of God and of our neighbor, a craving for the glory of paradise, zeal for the salvation of others, imitation of our Lord's example, compassion, thanksgiving, fear of God's wrath and of judgment, hatred of sin, trust in God's Goodness and Mercy, and shame for my past life, are all poured out in my soul as much as possible and to the greatest degree God's grace will allow (76).
6. What if I have no taste for or consolation in my meditation? Then I must entreat my Lord and not be troubled. I must seek relief in vocal prayer, bemoan myself to my Lord, confess my unworthiness, and express to Him in the words of Jacob: "I will not let Thee go, except Thou bless me;" or with the Canaanitish woman: "Yes, Lord, I am as a dog before Thee, but the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their master's table." Keep knocking. Keep knocking. Keep knocking.
7. Pray: "Lord, I lay before You my weak heart, which You fill with good desires through meditation upon your revealed Word. You know that I am unable to bring about any effect of these good desires, unless You bless and prosper them, and therefore, O loving Father, I entreat of You to help me by the grace and mercy of Your dear Son, to whose honor I would devote this day and my whole life."
Friday, January 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Nice one Jeff. The teaching on prayer is timely and to the point. As a testimony, I was looking at my clogged inbox and realized that the reason most of it was still there was because I had not really prayed over the matters and people of which I had been informed. I do the easy, quickies and then move on ... none of the passionate beseeching and pleading of God to move. So thanks for good points! Ron Y
Post a Comment